Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Quirky Urban Pizza

I love pizza!  It is my favorite. After reading this blog post from Food Babe it only confirmed my suspicions, pizza, potentially healthy meal, is not healthy because of what's in it.  Oh and I am not talking about the cheese and meats.  It's the hidden non-food chemicals like MSG hidden is ways such as Autolyzed Yeast Extract & Natural Flavors. Not to mention the unhealthy oil factor.

But I love those savory pies so much!!!

For years now I have been making my own pizza crust using this recipe from Breadtopia.  I make both the instant yeast and the sourdough pizza crusts.  It is super easy and you are in control of the ingredients. Here they are folks. Instant yeast, Organic Flour (either unbleached or whole wheat), Olive Oil, (I use organic coconut oil) Sea Salt and water.  That's it, no more!  


This recipe produces a tasty crust with basic ingredients that I'll bet you already have!

Top it with fresh veggies and nitrate free meats, organic cheese and you are good to go!!!


For today's pie I chose to make a vegan version.





1 recipe Breadtopia's basic pizza crust
1/4 C. prepared hummus
1/2 organic tomato, sliced thin
1/2 bunch organic asparagus, chopped
1 handful olives (your choice) chopped
1 handful artichoke hearts packed in water. chopped
1/2 organic red bell pepper
1 handful organic baby spinach





Prepare crust as directed and cut in half. (freeze second half for later use)
Heat oven and pizza stone to 475
Roll out dough and place on parchment
Spread Hummus evenly around dough and layer vegetables.  You can add as many or as little veggies as you like.  So if you want more or less of something go for it.


Transfer pizza to the stone with the parchment paper. (yes, leave the parchment paper under the pie, If you have a pizza peel you don't need the parchment.  I use a non-rimmed cookie sheet.  I place the parchment onto the cookie sheet, prepare the pizza, and then slide it onto the stone in the oven.) Bake 10-12 minutes until crust is brown.

  Cut and enjoy

*Notes: I used 1 1/4 wholewheat flour & 1 cup unbleached flour.

Thanks for stopping by and remember, stay Quirky! 

No comments:

Post a Comment